Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Just Look How Far We've Progressed

So I got to thinking about language and text and alphabets the other day. I was just marveling about the depth of the English language and about how advanced it is, especially when compared to the languages of pictographs and hieroglyphs. I was also thinking how lucky I was born to be born into an English speaking home not because English is a better language than any others out there but because of how difficult it must be to learn all the rules and exceptions. How in the world did these rules get compiled. (anyway) So back to the point ... Modern languages are far more advanced then the images on rocks and cave walls.

Just as I was admiring our far superior modern languages my (wicked amazing) smart phone buzzes. So I push a few buttons and, in an instant, my entire world came to a stand still ... and it hit me....I just responded instinctively to pictures and symbols to follow complex commands, the entire glorious English alphabet was just shoved aside and ignored, I hadn't read anything I just looked at symbols and knew what they where, what had I just done? ... I skipped reading words in the name of efficiency. So let me say this, a symbol tells more than a word it tells multiple words, even an entire conversation. When we look at our facebook apps we don't need to read an entire sentence that might go like this: You have a message from Mike, also Stacey changed her status update, Reminder it is your mothers birthday. We see a blue box with an "f" and a red circle with a few numbers.

We, in our highest technology, have now reverted back to communicating with symbols. Maybe the ancient civilizations were more intelligent then we have given them credit for.

1 Comments:

At 1:15 PM , Blogger Alden Schoeneberg said...

So R U saying?... :) a picture is worth a thousand words and it has taken us this long to once again figure out how to apply that to everyday communication?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home